I am working as a Radiation Safety Officer (RSO) in another country and am considering emigrating to Canada. I am wondering whether my training and experience is sufficient for me to be eligible to work as an RSO in Canada, or if there are additional specific educational requirements or qualifications which I must have.

Anyone who can demonstrate a reasonable combination of education and experience may be eligible to work as a Radiation Safety Officer in Canada.  However, they will require specific knowledge of applicable Canadian regulations, such as those of the Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission and/or Health Canada’s Safety Codes.

RSO’s, or persons working in equivalent roles at certain types of facilities, such as nuclear power plants or radiation therapy treatment centers, may also require formal certification through the Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission (CNSC).   For more information, please contact the CNSC directly.

There is a list of companies on the CRPA website under the “Membership” – “Corporate Members” tab. Many of these companies offer RSO training courses which include an overview of applicable Canadian regulations.  Please visit their websites or contact them directly for detailed information regarding the courses that they offer.

CRPA members who are working as an RSO inCanadaare eligible for professional registration as an RSO with the Association.  This includes a formal, written exam process.  Qualified persons may apply to take the exam, which is available during the CRPA Annual Conference.  More information can be found on the CRPA website under “Membership – Professional Designation”.


About the Author:

  Related Posts
  • No related posts found.